The fine print. We make all our policies as clear and readable as possible while still meeting our lawyer’s requirements.
Terms of Service
By using Dotenv (“Service”), you are agreeing to be bound by the following terms and conditions (“Terms of Service”).
Dotenv (“Company”) reserves the right to update and change these Terms of Service without notice.
Violation of any of the terms below may result in the termination of your account.
- You are responsible for maintaining the security of your account and password. The Company cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage from your failure to comply with this security obligation.
- You may not use the Service for any illegal purpose or to violate any laws in your jurisdiction.
- You must provide your legal full name, a valid email address, and any other information requested in order to complete the signup process.
Payment, Refunds, Upgrading and Downgrading Terms
- All fees are exclusive of all taxes, levies, or duties imposed by taxing authorities, and you shall be responsible for payment of all such taxes, levies, or duties, excluding only United States (federal or state) taxes. Where required, The Company will collect those taxes on behalf of taxing authority and remit those taxes to taxing authorities.
Cancellation and Termination
- All of your content will be inaccessible from the Service immediately upon cancellation. Within 30 days, all content will be permanently deleted from backups and logs. This information can not be recovered once it has been permanently deleted.
Modifications to the Service and Prices
- Prices of all Services are subject to change upon 30 days notice from us. Such notice may be provided at any time by posting the changes to the Dotenv site or the Service itself.
- We claim no property rights over the the secrets you accumulate using the Service. All secrets accumulated will remain yours.
- Your use of the Service is at your sole risk. The service is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis.
- Account support is only provided via email.
- You understand that the Company uses third party vendors, hosting partners, and vaulating partners to provide the necessary hardware, software, networking, storage, and related technology and security required to run the Service.
- You must not modify, adapt or hack the Service.
- You must not modify another website so as to falsely imply that it is associated with the Service or the Company.
- You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell or exploit any portion of the Service, use of the Service, or access to the Service without the express written permission by the Company.
- We may, but have no obligation to, terminate accounts that we determine in our sole discretion are unlawful or violates these Terms of Service.
- Verbal, physical, written or other abuse (including threats of abuse or retribution) of any Service customer, Company employee or officer can result in immediate account termination.
- You understand that the technical processing and transmission of the Service, including your content, may be transferred unencrypted and involve (a) transmissions over various networks; and (b) changes to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices.
- The Company does not warrant that (i) the service will meet your specific requirements, (ii) the service will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free, (iii) the results that may be obtained from the use of the service will be accurate or reliable, (iv) the quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you through the service will meet your expectations, and (v) any errors in the Service will be corrected.
- You expressly understand and agree that the Company shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages, including but not limited to, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data or other intangible losses (even if the Company has been advised of the possibility of such damages), resulting from: (i) the use or the inability to use the service; (ii) the cost of procurement of substitute goods and services resulting from any goods, data, information or services purchased or obtained or messages received or transactions entered into through or from the service; (iii) unauthorized access to or alteration of your transmissions or data; (iv) statements or conduct of any third party on the service; (v) or any other matter relating to the service.
- The failure of the Company to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the Terms of Service shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. The Terms of Service constitutes the entire agreement between you and the Company and govern your use of the Service, superceding any prior agreements between you and the Company (including, but not limited to, any prior versions of the Terms of Service).
- Questions about the Terms of Service should be sent to [email protected].
Any new features that augment or enhance the current Service, including the release of new tools and resources, shall be subject to the Terms of Service. Continued use of the Service after any such changes shall constitute your consent to such changes.
The privacy of your data is paramount to us. We’ll only ever access your account to help you with a problem or squash a software bug. We’ll never open any uploaded files unless you ask us to. We log all access to all accounts by IP address, so we can always verify that no unauthorized access has happened for as long as the logs are kept.
Identity & Access
When you sign up for Dotenv, we ask for your name and email address. That’s just so you can personalize your new account, and we can send you updates, or other essential information. We’ll never sell your personal info to third parties, and we won’t use your name in marketing statements without your permission, either.
When you write Dotenv with a question or to ask for help, we’ll keep that correspondence, and the email address, for future reference. When you browse our marketing pages, we’ll track that for statistical purposes (like conversion rates and to test new designs). We also store any information you volunteer, like surveys, for as long as it makes sense.
The only times we’ll ever share your info:
- To provide products or services you’ve requested, with your permission.
- To investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of our Terms of Service, or as otherwise required by law.
Dotenv won’t hand your data over to law enforcement unless a court order says we have to. We reject requests from local and federal law enforcement when they seek data without a court order. And unless we’re legally prevented from it, we’ll always inform you when such requests are made.
All data is encrypted via SSL/TLS when transmitted from our servers to your browser. The database backups are also encrypted. Sensitive data (like your email address and all your secrets) is always encrypted while it’s live in our database. It’s encrypted not just at the database level. We go beyond that standard and additionally encrypt it at the programmatic level. This is beyond bank level security. We go to great lengths to secure your data at rest and in transit — you can read more about that on our security page.
When you cancel your account, we’ll ensure that nothing is stored on our servers past 30 days. Anything you delete on your account while it’s active will also be purged within 30 days (up until then it’s available in the trash can).
Changes & Questions
Dotenv may update this policy from time to time - we’ll notify you about significant changes by email or by placing a prominent notice on our site. You can access, change or delete your personal information any time by contacting our support team.